Sometimes a retirement fund is not enough, you need to save to emergencies and luxuries, too. There is aMSN Money article about 6 (worthless) excuses for not saving money (my thoughts are in italic):
* Excuse 1: I don't make enough. No kidding, I think I'm underpaid. But I also find that the more I make, the more I spend. Someone once said, "it's not how much you make, it's how much you keep".
* Excuse 2: I'll get around to it later. Procrastination. If you can't save now, how can you save in the future [with house, family, kids, aging parents]?
* Excuse 3: I deserve a little luxury in my life. I struggle with this. "Wants" can be strong.
* Excuse 4: Someone else will take care of it. Hahaha, I think I figure out that Social Security won't be around when I retire.
* Excuse 5: I am saving through my 401(k). You know, 6% contribution plus 4.5% matching. Is it enough?
* Excuse 6: This item or service will pay for itself. Oh my gosh, this is definitely a struggle. I tell myself that "I'm not buying, I'm investing in this thing."